“The Little (empowered) Mermaid”
This class was first published as part of Ever After 2016. Ever After is all about fairy tales each year and for my main lesson I shared how I like to draw and paint a mermaid based on the original story of The Little Mermaid.
Come learn how to create a beautiful whimsical mermaid on a textured layered background with Tam. We explore the original story of the Little Mermaid and look at how we may want to put our own spin on it.
Extra characters I’ll demonstrate in this painting are an octopus and a sea horse. Filled to brim with mixed media techniques this class is approx. 2-4 hours of video content supported by an in depth PDF.
I hope to see you there!
Please note, below are the supplies I used, but you can substitute the supplies if and where needed if you don’t have what I’ve used.
◦ 1 Sheet of hotpressed watercolour paper (140lbs) (I used 16 x 12” but you can use any size you prefer)
◦ Graphite pencil (I like the graphgear 1000 by pentel 2b in lead, 0.9 width, but any graphite pencil will do.
◦ Watersoluble crayons (Caran D’ache Neocolor II) or any other water based paints
◦ Acrylics paint in skin tones
◦ Tombow or Aqua Markers
◦ Posca pens black and white (or other waterproof black/ white pens)
◦ Optional: colour pencils (nonwatersoluble) in darker colours like aubergine/ dark red/ dark brown/ grey
◦ Random collage materials of choice
◦ Gel Medium ◦ White Gesso & Brayer
◦ Washi Tape
◦ Blending Stump (or q-tip)
- All class content is downloadable
- Type of course: self study – short course (approx 2-4 hrs)
- Video + PDF content
- Life Long Access